Monday, September 04, 2006

Colonel Charles Carroll's Letter to Rev. John McCloskey


Rev. McCloskey was a priest at Mount Saint Mary's College in Emmitsburg, which both Charles and John Lee attended. I believe this check is for John Lee alone, though records are unclear. As Colonel Carroll indicates, he had attended Mount St. Mary's College as a young man, at the same time that Jerome Bonaparte, son of Jerome Bonaparte and Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte had attended, a relationship that led to a friendship between the families that continued to the next generation. (see below for the story of Elizabeth Patterson.) Alumni of Mount St. Mary's then and today refer to it as "the Mountain". Source: Special Collections, Mount St. Mary's University.

The text reads:
Doughoregan Manor
September 27, 1847
Revd Dear Sir
Your letter and (unreadable) of Sept. 21 received this day--Enclosed you have my check for the amount of $212.04.
I hope to have the pleasure of spending some days at the Mountain before Jany (January)--where so many of the days of my boyhood were passed & now looked back to to with appreciation and happiness.
I beg you will present my respect fully to the President & the other professors & believe me (unreadable)
Resp'ly (Respectfully) yours
Ch. Carroll

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home