Monday, September 04, 2006

Col. Charles Carroll letter 1848


The letter is addressed to Rev. John McCloskey at Mount Saint Mary's College, near Emmitsburg, Md. Source: Special Collections, Mount St. Mary's University. At this point, John Lee and Charles were both attending school there. The event to which their father probably refers was the annual awards banquet at which premiums were given. At this point, Charles was 20 and John Lee 18 years old.

Doughoregan Manor
March 5, 1848

Revd Dear Sir
Enclosed is my check for the amount of Charles' Bill--
It would have given great pleasure to have been with you on the occasion (of) your celebration, & to have seen my Sons acquit themselves with honor to their Professors credit to themselves--a boy's future destiny is often foreshadowed by his character & conduct in college & mine are reaching that age which begins to give hopes & anxieties--
I shall have the pleasure of seeing you I hope at the Mountain to which many of my earlier associations of tranquility & pleasure (exist?)
I am very Resply (Respectfully)
yrs Charles Carroll

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home