Monday, September 04, 2006

John Lee Carroll Letter 1847

(The letter covers four pages and I have not scanned it in, though I can do so if any family members wish to see the original.) Source: Mount St. Mary's Unversity, Special Collections.
The "high spirits" to which Col. Carroll refers are very apparent in this letter to a friend back at Georgetown, where he had earlier attended. It was written very near the end of the school year and because it is still at Mount St. Mary's, it was either confiscated by Rev. McCloskey, who read all letters going out and coming in, or it simply did not have time to pass the censor. There were censors also at Georgetown, and these seem to have intercepted earlier letters. The "spree" at Frederick to which he refers may have been planned for Carollton Manor, one of the family homes in that area. Premiums are awards for scholarship. The "stalls" appear to be outhouses. The fellow who went to Mexico fought in the Mexican-American War which took place from 1846-1848.

Mt. St. Mary's June 26th 1847

My Dear Alf
Hitherto I have thought it utterly useless for me to write to you, as I have writtten some 4 or 5 and received but 2 from you. The conclusion I came to was that they had not given you my letters at Georgetown, but I did not suppose that you did not answer them. However as it is near the end of the year I suppose they will not again interrupt the correspondence which we intended so regularly to continue. I have a great deal to tell you when I see you, but which I could not mention to you now as it would fill up the letter too quickly. I will certainly see you at the Exhibition to which I would not miss coming for anything. I expect to have a spree of the same sort as last year's if not a little better. Our vacations begin on the 30th of this month which is only 3 days off. A party of 8 or 9 of us are going to Frederick that night where we intend having a pretty smart spree & taste a little of everything. I suppose you know before this that Charles has left. He went away in March under a plea of bad health but always was as hearty as a buck. From his letters he appears to be playing the mischief among the ladies, which appears to be contrary to his nature. Alf, I would not for anything miss coming back here next year. I have got along first rate and can get nearly any privilege just by asking for it. I have some very fine companions with whom I spend all my time and spend it very agreeably, and I get a smoke of good segars 2 or 3 times a week. I suppose you fellows still keep up our old practice of smoking in the stalls, it used to go very fine with me. When you write do not forget to tell me how old Kent spoke on the 22nd of last Feb. as I have not heard from you since that time. I wish you had sent me a copy of the speeches of both societies. I got a very unexpected letter from Swift the other day who gives me a great account of his dealings with the folks of those parts. He says it is a splendid place and he enjoys himself very much.
My examination is all over and I never in my life stood such an easy one. It is not to be compared with the Georgetown examination in strictness or anything else. Unfortunately they say I have come here too late to get premiums; if it were not so I would feel pretty flat as I did not expect more than 2 or 3 and they are nothing for this place where they give out about 250. I suppose you and Bat go out swimming in order to keep up the remembrance of our old and favourite ways of breaking the rules. They do not (as I believe I before told you) force you to go to confession here, and as they did not make any fuss about it I made my Easter with great ease but have not owing to various impediments been able to bring my self up to the bull ring since. I have written once or twice to F. ? Hall but have only heard from him once and that was before he left George(town). Mr. Roura? I believe is coming up to play at the Exhibition; we will I think have some splendid music that day. They not long ago introduced us in new and splendid stalls with delightful holes and everything convenient. I wish you could enjoy a seat on them, this is about the most novel incident of late and I thought I would inform you of it. I know some very fine girls around the country but whom of late I cannot get to see as frequently as formerly. I occasionally hear from old major in B(altimore). He is I am inclined to think not doing much more than spreeing. I hear old Ned Donaldson (you recollect him) after having run away from his mother went to Mexico and they say fought like a tiger, and has now come back covered with glory. Nelson just tells me he received a letter from you yesterday; he says he thinks he will go to the Exhibition also. If so we will have a very pleasant time. I suppose you will not come round by Baltimore on your way home, if you can we can have some fine fun. There is nothing new here and so I must bid you adieu until I get home. I remain your sincere friend.
John Lee Carroll
when you write direct your letter to the care of Charles Carroll Esq near Ellicotts Mills, Howard Dist. M-D
give my respects to Wade Bat and all those old fellows

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home